Kate Takes 5 has challenged us to list our top 5 decisions we're glad we've made. These are mine:
1. I'm glad I took a year out of work to travel. Aged 25 I decided to jack my job in and go to Australia for a year. One of the best years of my life. Yes I did it on a credit card, yes, I came back with a huge amount of debt but I have never regretted it. Whenever I see Australia on the TV I get so emotional now, it really does hold a very special place in my heart. We are seriously considering moving there.
2. Dumping my much older boyfriend (this was prior to the Australia trip). We were together for 3 years ago, he came with 2 kids and he seriously messed me up for many reasons. My self esteem was battered, in fact I think in hindsight I became quite depressed. He was a charmer and I fell for his flashy ways, but he eroded my confidence bit by bit. The best thing I ever did was dump him. A great decision!
3. Changing my mind about dumping the next boyfriend. When I came back from Australia I met a lovely man but I wasn't sure I was that 'into him'. As I was dumping him, it occured to me that actually he was a very sweet guy and I was silly to dump him, so I didn't! 7 years or so later we were married and now 10 years on we have 2 kids. He is by far the best thing to happen to me.
4. Quitting smoking. I quit smoking when I was 30 (not long after meeting husband above). James has always been pretty clean living and sensible, whereas I have had quite a rebellious streak and was a bit wild in certain ways up to the time of meeting him. I guess it was probably unhappiness and self esteem issues that led to me smoking (and other stuff.. ahem!). He made me happy and I quit doing a lot of bad stuff.
5. Having kids. I wanted kids way before James so had to wait until he was ready. Keani came along and was such a sweet and mild mannered baby, an 'easy' baby. We absolutely adored those first months with her and were so happy. So we decided to have another baby and Dexter came along. 2 fantastic kids, such hard work now they're both toddlers, but my god I love them with all my heart and can't imagine life without them. I try and be a good mother but feel like I fail miserably a lot of the time but they are happy children and I love them unconditionally. I hope in time I can become a better parent. I'm still learning...